What are Resource Usage Policies?
In hosting environments, a server’s resources are what economists would call a common pool resource, meaning that although having plenty of available system resources benefits everyone, no single user has an incentive to ensure that they don’t use too many resources themselves. In an effort to protect against the tragedy of the (server) commons, we have placed limits on the amount of a server’s resources that any given user may consume. While these are limits, server abuse is not limited to these policies and is up to CleverHost’s discretion what constitutes server abuse.
The Purpose of These Policies
Understand that these policies are in place to protect you, our customers, from poor service quality. Generally, if we need to impose a restriction on an account for resource abuse, that account is in violation of at least two of these policies (or one policy to a very serious degree) and is adversely affecting the other clients on their server. The large, large majority of sites, at least 99.5%, will never even have to take these limits into consideration. That being said, it’s good to make yourself aware of them.
It is also important to note that many of these limits can be seen as “soft” limits. They are not actively enforced, and you can run up to or even over most of them without issue. If, however, you start to affect the overall performance of a server, we do need to have limits and policies in place. Without them it’s incredibly hard to explain to the customer, in quantitative terms, exactly how a site is consuming too many system resources. If an account is found to be in violation of these Resource Usage Policies, we will do our best to work with clients to give 48 hours, 5 days, or 10 days notice depending on the severity of the violation. We reserve the right as outlined in the Terms of Service to suspend a site if it is causing a severe problem.
Unsolicited Bulk / Commercial Email / Spam
The use of CleverHost.co servers and networks to transmit unsolicited bulk/commercial email (also know as spam) is strictly forbidden. Under no circumstance is the transmission of spam acceptable or tolerated.
The transmission of spam from our servers and networks can cause irreparable monetary and reputation damage. All damages caused by spamming will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Any client caught explicitly spamming from our servers or networks will have their account immediately terminated & without notice.
General Content & Service Restrictions
CleverHost’s servers should not be relied upon as a backup/storage system. We allow up to 2GB of an account’s website backup data to be stored within the same account.
Reselling is not allowed on shared hosting plans (Starer, Max, Pro). If reselling is desired, a reseller plan must be purchased in the form of a Managed VPS or Managed Dedicated Server plan.
Pornography is permitted. Nudity, adult-oriented e-commerce stores, and similar are allowed if the content is legal in Canada.
All interactive chat web applications are allowed on CleverHost’s servers. This includes but is not limited to chat applications written in PHP, Perl, CGI, Python, Ruby, etc. in addition to IRC or IRC bots. Any web application that provides ‘real-time’ chat is permitted. Shoutboxes, chatboxes, live chat/live help (such as, but not limited, to LiveZilla) and other web based chat programs are not prohibited.
Web Applications & Web Accessible Scripts
All web applications that are out of date and actively being exploited will be shut down immediately without notice. As a website owner or administrator, you should evaluate your web based applications and scripts on a regular basis to ensure they’re secure and up to date.
Forums and any applications using a commenting system should have some form of spam protection or moderation. CAPTCHA is a popular way to eliminate spam robots from spamming your website.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) farms or similar are strictly forbidden on CleverHost’s servers and networks. SEO farms create undue strain and resource abuse on any given server and affect all clients.
- Banner rotation services and link exchange networks are not permitted.
- Offering Image, File, Document and Data storage, and free hosting and email services are strictly prohibited.
- Off-site media storage is not permitted.
- Operating a public mirror site is not permitted.
- Running a proxy or anonymizer, whether publicly accessible or protected, is not permitted.
- Prime bank or bank debenture-related sites, bitcoin sites, lottery sites, muds or online RPGs, hate sites, hacker-related sites, sites promoting illegal activity, IP scanner or other hacking tools, mail bombing or spam scripts, or forums and websites that distribute or promote warez content are expressly forbidden.
- Bit torrent applications, trackers, and clients as well as any file-sharing/peer-to-peer activities are forbidden.
- The operation of gaming servers (such as but not limited to Minecraft, Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Battle Field 1942) are forbidden.
- Web spiders and indexers are not permitted.
- The abovementioned services / web content create undue system load on our servers and should only be run in a dedicated server environment. All violations will be shut down immediately and may result in account suspension and/or termination.
If you have a question on whether or not your content is in violation, please email our Abuse Department for clarification.
Resource Usage Restrictions
Processes invoked by the web server, cron, shell or any other method should not exceed the following limitations:
- Consume more than 1 GB of RAM.
- Utilize in excess of 5 seconds of CPU time.
- Number of open files should not exceed 64.
- Create core dumps.
- Number of simultaneous processes should not exceed 15.
- Execute a script/binary that forks in a way to create a fork bomb.
- Programs may not run in the background or listen on a network port. If you require a bot, service or daemon, you should consider a virtual private server or dedicated server. Very few shared web hosts allow this type of program.
- All users are restricted to 50 concurrent MySQL connections.
- Each database is restricted to 5 GB of disk space.
- Database queries should not exceed 3,000 per hour.
- Database changes (insert/update/delete) should not exceed 1,000 queries per hour.
- Database servers should not be used as a hosted solution. Database access should only be used for the web site hosted by CleverHost.
- Remote database access is for administrative purposes only.
Files and Directories
Email and Mailing Lists
Dedicated IP Addresses
On certain web hosting plans, CleverHost does not place limits on the amount of particular resources a single client may use. CleverHost makes every reasonable effort to provide clients with the disk space and bandwidth resources needed for their websites within the limitations of these Terms of Service. CleverHost monitors all servers via automated and non-automated methods to help ensure no single client adversely impacts other clients located on the same server.
Please note that shared hosting plans are for website hosting, and the storage of backups (unless otherwise allowed in this agreement), file repositories, MP3s, videos, photo archives, and similar is strictly prohibited. Violators of this policy may have their accounts terminated.
Failure To Comply With Policy
Failure to fully comply with these terms is grounds for account suspension and/or termination.
We reserve the right to remove any account without prior notice.
The examples listed herein are a guide and may not be an exhaustive list. If you have a question on whether or not your content is in violation, please email our Abuse Department for clarification.